Black gay/bisexual men
HIV Care Continuum
- Advisory Board Members
- AIDS Health Care Foundation
- Black, Gifted & Whole
- DC Cares
- District of Columbia Health Department
- The Al Sura Foundation
- Us Helping US
- Whitman-Walker Health
In 2011, a volunteer working group of Black gay men established ManDate/Project Healthy Living (PHL) to combat the myriad challenges that negatively affect their health and well-being. PHL aims to fill a void in leadership and activism in response to the HIV epidemic among Black gay men.
ManDate is a systemic game-changer for health outcomes for Black gay/bisexual men. Over the years, the program has rendered PHL as part of its continuum of programs, services, and activities designed to change healthcare delivery systems and strengthen the Black MSM community. The ManDate is not a support group; rather, it is a multigenerational, multiexperiential, and multicultural collective of men committed to maintaining positive and engaging spaces for Black gay men to openly explore issues relevant to holistic and sexual health, healthy relationship-building, and personal and professional development/growth.
The ManDate program consists of monthly sessions, or ManDates, and an annual Health & Wellness Conference for Black gay men. The ManDate sessions provide opportunities for Black gay men to meet socially in both private and community spaces to discuss concerns about their health and wellbeing. While sexual health is certainly part of these sessions, ManDate participants discuss a wide range of topics, including:
- “Ask the Doc” sessions designed to empower men to find their voice with healthcare providers
- Intergenerational relationships
- Mental health
- PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) and PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis)
- Relationships, self-love, and intimacy
- Sex positivity, toys, and options
- Spirituality and sexuality
- Vaccinations, high blood pressure, and sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
Originally developed in the Washington, DC, metropolitan region, PHL has developed toolkits for interested parties in other jurisdictions, enabling them to readily adapt The ManDate sessions.
"I am so very grateful for that meeting and the information I received."